Updated June 24th -2022 – by Rob Kenning
Latest Penfield Forge News
NEW FACEBOOK CONTRIBUTORS
We now have three new contributors to our Facebook page. They include Doug (our President) as well as Matteo Riboni and Blacksmith Instructor-John Fergus.
Keep an eye on the Facebook page and get the forge news and other association news, hot off the press.
NEW POWER HAMMER
A.B.A.S.A’s Forge at Penfield has a new edition to the family. A Big Blu air driven power hammer is on site and being prepared for use. Chris F, Brian D and Andrew H delivered and tested the hammer just recently. At 1 cwt, it is not as intimidating as the Massey, so beginners will be more comfortable learning to forge down their work. Well done to the crew.
Pictured below is Brian testing the action if the hammer.
Our forge will be open on Feb 5th,
Day temperature and Covid restrictions permitting.
You are required to sign on at arrival. Have a mask available for appropriate times and hand hygiene and social distancing will need to be employed at each session. A Covid marshal will be deployed at each opening, and if none are available, then the session will not proceed.
We risk heavy fines if the rules are not adhered to.
Any change to the above will be posted on our website.
We appreciate your patience in these trying times.
2021 -2022 Committee members
A new committee has been voted in for the 2021 -2022 period.
A.B.A.S.A’s new committee comprises the following members:
PRESIDENT -Doug Carruthers.
VICE PRESIDENT – Kirstie Stewart.
SECRETARY – Angela Cameron
PUBLIC OFFICER – Chris Fuller
TREASURER -Brian Dreyer.
COURSE COORDINATOR -Kirstie Stewart
Congratulations to all.
JULY 14 2021
NEW WEBSITE SAFETY TAB
The latest information on the developing Safety protocols has been added to the website. Please check out SAFETY Tab to view the progress news. S.O.P’s will be added shortly when they are completed. Stay tuned.
MAY 4TH 2021
SAFETY IN THE FORGE
A.B.A.S.A. Inc, is a member of the Australian Mens Shed Association and our insurance policies are covered by them. A.M.S.A. has implemented a requirement for all Mens Shed members to formulate and develop a Safety System to create a safer and manageable work environment for our members. We have a group of members experienced in this task, and in the coming days, will be creating the safety systems, and putting them into place.
These systems will include the following:-
1. A complete Health Safety manual lockout tag out procedure.
2.- Weekly equipment checklist template.
3- A complete Health Safety manual lockout tag out procedure.
4.- Weekly equipment checklist template.
5.- Guide to machinery Safety.
6.- Risk assessments.
7.- Personnel protective equipment.
8.- Manual handling procedures.
9.- Induction of training.
10.- Daily pre start inspection.
11.- Preventative Maintenance.
13.- Each item to be tagged corresponding with a Go No Go startup procedure check.
14.- All machinery tagged according to its work performance that is not identified as do it yourself only.
Progress on this initiative will be reported at the monthly meetings. Members are encouraged to keep abreast of the changes and be safety aware when you are working at the forge.
ABASA Monthly Meetings:- As of February 2021
PENFIELD FORGE OPERATIONS
We shall commence our weekly cycle of Tuesday and Saturday openings and Doris Blacksmithing days commencing Tuesday 26th May. Operation and Participation will be according to the following list of Musts.
· There will be a limit of Ten(10) Members Maximum on site at any given time.
· Social Distancing rules of 1.5 meters separation to be strictly observed. If you are not prepared to work under these conditions do not attend.
· As we have 200 Sq meters of floor space the per meter age formula is easily observed.
· Strict Hygiene of participants and tools and equipment are to be observed
· Places at any forging day must be pre booked with the supervisor of the day who will decided when the books are closed . contact with the nominated supervisor is to be done preferably via phone but email is acceptable.
· A registration sheet is to be filled in on the day of attendance. It only requires your name and telephone number. These sheets will be kept on-site and will only be accessed in the case of an infection.
· If you are unwell especially with respiratory symptoms do not attend.
· Attendance is strictly for members only. There will be no come and try days until further restrictions are eased
The dates for the courses of 2021 will be posted shortly. Stay tuned.
Forging Fee and Coke.
There has been a substantial increase in the price of forging coke. As a consequence, the forging fee will increase to $15(effective immediately)
A bag of coke now costs $35.00. we have a limited number on site.
The new wet area is nearing completion and is currently being tiled. It will be operational on Tuesday 26th.
A huge thank you to those people who have been able to help during these difficult times.
The partner of our late A.B.A.S.A member, Peter Clarke, has a selection of his books on Blacksmithing up for sale.
If you are interested in purchasing any of the books, contact our Secretary, Doug Carruthers at firstname.lastname@example.org
for a contact number.